Language - Introduction
A guideline to pronunciation of Maori Language
- Unlike English, where the same spelling can have different pronunciation
(cough, bough, rough) the Maori Language revolves around the vowel sounds, which never change.
- All Maori Words can be broken into syllable and each syllable ends in a
vowel Ma / o / ri
- To pronounce the ng properly, try this trick.
- Think of the words sing a
- Drag the two words and run them together
- Now say the si in your mind and the ng a out aloud
- Be careful when pronouncing the t
- To make sure that you do not get a "t hiss" sound, make sure that your tongue is pushed hard up behind your top front teeth.