2003 - 2004
Old Whanau Records
Coming Soon
Archives Home
Full Archive Search
Type a name in the box below
(one word for best results)

Aroha Mai
You cannot add any information to any of these records - they are here for historical purposes only.

If you find something you want to know more about post in the current Papa Panui Forum
Henare, Hoani Maihi From the Original Whakapapa Club
Romana Paehangi Tarau

Posted: 07/11/2005
An age old problem, can someone help us out? I am looking for any information on the whakaheke line of my karani Hoani Maihi Henare of Waikare, but lived and died out at Matawaea, Northland. He had 3 wife's being (1) Te Ra Pomana Hone Tua Motukiwi, of Kaitangata me Ngati Kawau, (2)Maraea Mau Mangu & (3)Ngere Wells, both of Matawaea. Apparently Hoani had brothers & sisters, one brother who was buried out at Hikurangi the maunga and 3 sisters that came from Great Barrier Island on the outskirts of Pakiri, Ngati Wai. His father's name was Maihi Henare Maihi and mother was TePara Tete Paora of Te Kapotai hapu, Waikare, Bay of Islands. Henare's parents were Eruera Maihi Henare & Mere te Ohu who had their son in Tauranga (we think at a place called Matakana island). What little information we have is that at the end of the day my father's tupuna came from Sir Govenor Grey's seed as our tupuna whaia was given to him as a servant and a son came forth out of that servitude but that she ultimately made off with his righthand man who was apparently a Henry Snowden. We have these unqualified sources of whakapapa that trace my grandfather's whakapapa down to the Tauranga area but no one to confirm this. Lastly as we are off the first family we feel it our responsibilty to make the contacts and do the research for our Tupuna on my grandfather's side as our other 2 families (through the other wives)look to us for direction. This is the first time that we have made this attempt to do this work as we feel it is our tupuna Hoani Maihi Henare's time and have come to understand that everything happens for a reason and a purpose. Any help in this matter is greatly appriciated.
hohaia2
Aotearoa
Posted: 07/11/2005
Tena koe e hoa,

Ko Ngati Kawau me Te Whanau Pani oku hapu i te taha o toku mama no Te Touwai Ki Matangirau [Whangaroa]
Ko Toetoe ka moe ia a Motukiwi
Ka puta mai a Hone Tua
Ko Hone Tua ka moe ia a Areta Pera
Ka puta mai tana uri ko:
Tomo Hone Tua
Mangaroa Hone Tua
Te Wirihana Hone Tua
Awhirangi Hone Tua
Pomana Hone Tua
Motukiwi Hone Tua
Maki Hone Tua
... me etahi atu.

Hohaia.
~ There are but two special gifts we can give our children... One is Roots - The other is Wings ~
hohaia2
Aotearoa
Posted: 08/11/2005
Ko Hone Tua ka moe ia a Areta Pera
Ka puta mai a Pomana Hone Tua
Ko Pomana Hone Tua ka moe ia a Ngatau Mauahara
Ka puta mai a Te Ra Pomana Tua [i mate i te tau: 1918]
Ko Te Ra Pomana Tua ka moe ia a Hoani Maihi Paraone
Ka puta mai a Rihipeti Hoani Maihi

It appears that Hoani Maihi Paraone is a descendant of the Ngati Hine rangatira Te Ruki Kawiti.

Hope this helps.

Na Hohaia.
~ There are but two special gifts we can give our children... One is Roots - The other is Wings ~
analavaka
Aotearoa
Posted: 13/08/2006
Hello!
I have some names and not much more, my grandmother didn't speak in to much detail about her whakapapa, but what you have written about henry snowden is the exact same story she told us.

The righthand man you speak of(as to my understanding from my kuia) was named henry john snowden, and because of the circumstances he changed his name, apparently a few times, in an apparent attempt to hide from whatever fears they had of the Governor. My grandmothers father was John henare Snowden, my grandmother was a Henare as were a couple of her brothers the other siblings were Henrys, her father lived in Otaki but moved to the East Coast(tolaga bay) where he lived till he died, and was buried at Kaiaua Beach. I don't know details. But was hoping that we could communicate more, I have a bit more information but not much more, just other families names and connections. Hope to hear more from you or others.

Hello
Te Kuta
Aotearoa
Posted: 13/08/2006
Tena Koe Bro

I have heard of Te Para Paora, Her Father was Whataparaoa No Maungakawakawa, & her Mother was Hiraka no Rawhiti Bay of Islands.
Her sisters were Tiripua, Tawaka, and Brother was Te Nana.
Hope this helps.

We can't live on love and Pipi's
Hoani
New Zealand
Posted: 21/08/2006
Love the quote "we cant live on love and pipis"...Nga mihi
Anyway a very interested korero that raised my curiosity, particularly regarding John Henare Snowden. I have been talking recently to some Wharehinga, Maihi and Henare whanau who have been researching their whakapapa and it all seems to point directly to this person, I'll refer to him as John Henry. For the most part the names John and Henry are carried through many generations of the Snowden (Maori) whakapapa. The first being settler Henry Davis Snowden who married Erana Te Ururoa of Ngati Uru, Whangaroa hapu. His first son was Henry who died at birth, however third child born was also named Henry (1846)whose first marriage was to a Isabella Tahuru..after that there are no records. HDS and Erana also had a son by the name of John Haaki Snowden who also used the name Reweti...however he married a Downs (1) and then a Meri Nathan (2) there are hundreds of descendants today. Their eldest son was a Henry;(b 1881). John Henry seems to have moved around a bit and I wonder if he is linked to this whakapapa in some way; it doesnt show up in an obvious way at all. Regarding John Henry as Gov Greys righthand man might be an era because from the records the only Snowden old enough to have annoyed the govenor would of been HDS, this is supported by arrest warrants for "owling" and suspected gunrunning that can be sited in whanau collections. The other Snowdens would of been too young, at least the ones that we know about.

Mauri ora

Richard1
New Zealand
Posted: 07/01/2007
Kia Ora Koutou

Mr name is Richard HENRY I am the eldest son of Edward (Teddy) Henry who is one of John HENRYs sons the same one buried at Kaiaua Beach Tolaga Bay, or should I say my Grandad.
would be great to make contact as I have heard of similar Stories within the Henry whanau on the East Coast.
Retimana
Aotearoa
Posted: 07/01/2007
Tena Koe Romana,

Your Karani's mother, TE PARA TE-TE PAORA [b:20.2.1897 d:19.6.1927 bur: Turuki Marae Urupa, Waikare] married HEEMI RETIMANA or RETI. [My father. My mother Weera Kiwikiwi was his second wife]. They lived at the homestead on Waikare 8Q2 Block.

The first of their thirteen children was Te Aotutahanga Reti (Male)[b:25.8.1901 d:19.01.1950 @ Kawhia]. There are no surviving issue from these two. However, their issue have numerous offspring.

TE PARA was child of TE-TE PAORA [father] and HARATA HENE NGAIKA.

Both the names MAIHI and HENARE appear in our whakapapa and go back three generations beyond TE PARA. I've got to study this and knowing your Karani's birthdate and birthplace could help me work out the connections. Do you know these dates?
"The Earth is Our Mother - Care for her"
Rama
New Zealand
Posted: 13/01/2007
quote:

Tena Koe Romana,

Your Karani's mother, TE PARA TE-TE PAORA [b:20.2.1897 d:19.6.1927 bur: Turuki Marae Urupa, Waikare] married HEEMI RETIMANA or RETI. [My father. My mother Weera Kiwikiwi was his second wife]. They lived at the homestead on Waikare 8Q2 Block.

The first of their thirteen children was Te Aotutahanga Reti (Male)[b:25.8.1901 d:19.01.1950 @ Kawhia]. There are no surviving issue from these two. However, their issue have numerous offspring.

TE PARA was child of TE-TE PAORA [father] and HARATA HENE NGAIKA.

Both the names MAIHI and HENARE appear in our whakapapa and go back three generations beyond TE PARA. I've got to study this and knowing your Karani's birthdate and birthplace could help me work out the connections. Do you know these dates?

Hikoi te Korero
Rama
New Zealand
Posted: 14/01/2007
Kiaora Koutou enga whanaunga,

I have just been able to figure out how to get back on line with Maori.org.nz, hence the delay in dialogue in regards to Te Para Paora, our Tuupuna whaia. Although my main search is for Hoani Maihi Henare our grandfather I will endeavour to give some korero about Te Para.

Te Para Tete Paora was the daughter of Tete Paora (born 1860, died 11th June 1921 at Te Karae) of Manga Taipa, Mangamuka. Te Para had the following brothers & sisters, Hare, Kataraina, Remo, Wakaoterangi,and Neri.

This is her whakapapa;

Kohatutaka uri ote aho!

Ko Rahiri, ka moe i a Whakaruru
ka puta mai ko Tutepo
Ko Tutepo, ka moe i a Tua
ka puta mai ko Tuwharepapa
Ko Tuwharepapa ka moe i a Kanohi
ka puta mai ko Tuwharerangi
Ko Tuwharerangi ka moe i a Waiora
ka puta mai ko nga Rukengaiti raua ko Tauratumaru, ko Te Tama
Ko Te Tama ka moe i a Te Mihinga
ka puta mai ko Hoe
Ko Hoe ka moe i a Maitu
ka puta mai ko nga Whareaute raua ko Tarakihi, ko Te Uiuinga, ko Puke
Ko Puke ka puta mai ko Waihaha
Ko Waihaha ka moe i a Moehau
ka puta mai ko Tarakihi
Ko Tarakihi ka moe i a Moenga
ka puta mai ko nga Wheki raua ko Hoia (ka moe i a Patuone te rangatira) ko Te Arai
Ko Arai ka moe i a Wheo
ka puta mai ko Huatahi
Ko Huatai ka moe i a Mokoroa
ka puta mai ko Tamati Mato
Ko Tamati Mato ka moe i a Hineiarumia (of Waikato)
ka puta mai ko Kataraina Mato
Ko Kataraina Mato ka moe i a Hone Paora
ka puta mai ko Tete Paora
Ko Tete Paora ka moe i a Harata Hene Ngaika( ko Te Kapotai te hapu)
ka puta mai ko TePara Tete Paora
Ko TePara Tete Paora ka moe i a Henare Maihi Henare
ka puta mai ko Hoani Maihi Henare
Ko Hoani Maihi Henare ka moe i a Te Ra Pomana Hone Tua
ka puta mai ko Riripeti Te Kohuroa Maihi Henare
Ko Riripeti Te Kohuroa Maihi Henare ka moe i a Riki Eparaima Tarau Poutu of Te Kapotai, Waikare.

TePara's first husband was Henare Maihi Henare (lived in Waikare most of his life but was born in Tauranga). They had one son, Hoani Maihi Henare and then Henare died. TePara then married Hemi Reti and had the following children(you list them as thirteen, if you can tell me who the whanau member I've missed out on that would be great),
Te Aotutahanga, Wiremu, Remo, Eriha, Mei, Werekake, Harata, Aiwi, Erina, Te Hou, Keita and Paerata.

TePara later passed away (born 20th Feb 1879, died 19th June 1926, Waikare) and Hemi Reti then married Weera Kiwikiwi, having eleven children.

I understand that Terry Pucheon & Mylray Reti Puncheon have access to an old picture of TePara Tete Paora (through Terry's sister in Whangarei)where you may be able to follow through on if interested in a copy.

Regarding the names Maihi & Henare in your whanau names I would guess that our grand father Hoani Maihi Henare (being the eldest of TePara's children)came to live and be raised by Hemi Reti and became the older brother of TePara's other children ie Te Aotutahanga etc. I note too that Werekake, Remo, Harata are all names of my fathers Tuupuna and they are the first to be given those names, ie Werekake Poutu, Remo Ngaika Wetere, Harata Te Waru Poutu, all of Waikare.

You may know my grandfather, my father or brothers & sisters being,
Eparaima (Te Turi) Tarau or his brother Arapeta Tarau (often called Taranaki Tarau who carried whakapapa around in a bag). My father was Riki or Dick Tarau and my oldest brother alive is Barry Tarau. Anyway my grand father Eparaima was the son of Rahera Te Kero of Ngati Te Aara of Kokopu, Orauta, a sub tribe of Ngati Hine. Well Rahera's first Husband was Hare Ngaika Wetere of Waikare who had between them two children befor he died, being Hare Ngaika (junior) and Harata Ngaika. Hare Ngaika married Hemo Peita of Ngati Hine and had Ahitaapi Ngaika who married Iritana George and had children including Rewa who married John Toi. Harata Ngaika of course went on to marry Tete Paora (as in my brief at the beginning)and so on.

I am trying to get all relavent info on Hoani Maihi Henare collected and would welcome any further korero that would help peirce his life together.

Romana Tarau
Hikoi te Korero
Retimana
Aotearoa
Posted: 14/01/2007

Kia Ora Romana,

Wow!

I am really impressed with your korero. Thanks to you, I now understand how the Maihi/Henare Whanau connect to us.

With regards to your question
quote:
...if you can tell me who the whanau missed out on that would be great

Wetini

who married

Reriana Remo Wetere.

Surprise! Surprise! You mentioned 'Remo Wetere' in your korero.
I'll leave it to you to make that whanau connection.

Yes, I knew your whanaunga, especially Taranaki. His 'suitcase' was legendary and it's contents, his most prized possession. Photos of your whanaunga hang in Ngahuihuinga. Sadly, I heard through our 'kumara vine' that after his death, there was a fire in the Kawakawa flat and all his pepeha was destroyed. The flat fire was confirmed.

Kare, Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me and all our many whanau, who read this in the future.

Kia Ora Ano.
"The Earth is Our Mother - Care for her"
1 of 2 [ 2 ]