November 15 2018 15:01:36
View Thread
 Print Thread
KARORA, Te Rau: Help to fill in the gaps about Te Rau Karora
poutokomanawa
Kia ora,

Could anyone kindly help me fill in some of the gaps about Te Rau Karora?

Firstly, can anyone confirm who his first wife was? I have only heard her name once and have never been able to find any more info about her.

Can anyone confirm who his mother is and where she is from? Again, I only have her name and have not found anything else.

Where is he buried? I have wandered through most of the urupa at home but have not found him. This either means I am going blind, he doesn't want me to find him or he is not where I have looked!

If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions and can share this info with me, or can point me in the right direction, that would be truly appreciated!

Kia ora mo to wa! Grin
Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

Kina
Ko Te Waiora te hapu,
Nga maunga tohu reo raua ko rangitane,
Ko te tau karora te rangatira mai te wa o te tiriti,
Ko waitaahora te awa,
Ko whitirea te moana,
Ko whangakea te paa kainga,
Ko takahua me te rau mihi nga urupa.

Kina
Te Rau Karora Wives

Katerina Te Ngaumata ?
and Wiri ?

poutokomanawa
Kia ora for this info Kina Grin

Takahua is one urupa I have not looked around so will have to go traipsing through the manuka scrub Grin

I have already been through Te Rau Mihi and could not find him there - but will have another look next time I am up that ways.

Katerina Te Ngaumata is his second wife and the mother of Wiri. There is alot of information about Katerina and many whanau descend from Wiri - it is confirmation of the name of the first wife and where she is from that I am after.

But again I appreciate your input and kia ora for your time and awhi Grin
Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

Kina
What i have found how true it is i do not know. ?
TeRau KARORA
Wife = Wiri Karora,
Sons = Nehemia Te Rau, and Keremeneta.

poutokomanawa
Kia ora ano Kina Smile

I spend quite a bit of time trying to awhi others so getting awhi is really appreciated - well as the saying goes awhi mai awhi atu!

Nehemia Te Rau is my great grandfather and Keremeneta (also known as Mehana) is the brother of Koro.

Now sometime in the past - I don't have my papers with me at the mo - I got my hands on baptism and marriage records from Te Hapua in the endless lifetime whakapapa search. Whenever I get info, be it korero or written, I always add a note in my whakapapa records so years later, if I need to check things, I know where to go - well that is the theory anyway! Grin

Anyway, the Baptism Record #147 is for Wiri and so is the Marriage Record #32. Both records have her dad as Te Rau Karora and her mum as Katarina.

And now I have realised that I am going to have to spend a few days merging my whakapapa files as I have bits and pieces in a whole lot of different files! had to go through 3 files before I found the record numbers - and I knew I had them somewhere!

Ah, the joys of whakapapa Grin
Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

poutokomanawa
Kia ora for that trev - your reply is most appreciated Smile
Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

trev
Te Rau Karora once lived opposite north cape island. his children recognised themselves as Ngati waiora.

he had tatoos on his buttocks and practiced rakau takaro at north east side of parengarenga harbor.

He took 2 wives who were 2 sisters from the South Island during a war expedition, Kataraina ngaumata and a wiri believed to be those 2 sisters.

His daughters also had those names e.g - (wiri waitai) te paea subritzky's mother and (kataraina ratahi) aka ngahou who are both sisters.

whangakea block was his along with nehemia taipari, keremeneta and mihaka. Weather they are his sons or appear to be relatives of who his sons are maybe named after is unknown.

he was evicted off pandora (whangakea) by the government which colonel mcdonnell had some involvement. mcdonnell visited the area as a land sale agent but that is as far that story goes. As result he went to marua.

His grave appears to be mysteriously unknown of his whereabouts and I believe that our karauna would've mentioned about it if it was known as she mentioned alot about him...
Edited by trev on 19-12-2017 01:00

trev
👍

trev
👍 all good

trev

trev

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011