September 20 2017 08:36:28
View Thread
 Print Thread
waiata
MATUA
can anyone help me with the chords to the lords prayer, pamai, ko te whaea and haere mai any help would be most appreciated

KapaKid
Kia ora matua,

Pa mai is can be played in three chords - g, c and d or c, f, g - just play with those three chords - use the first one but if that is too high or low you can try the second chord combo.

I think for ko te whaea you mean this one? http://folksong.o...index.html there are the chords on that page for that song.

For Lords prayer do you mean the one that Te wakahuia did? If so, post here to confirm and I will see what can find for that one Smile

KapaKid
Aroha mai matua - I missed one - which haere mai? I know about 5 off the top of my head without thinking about it that are beginning with haere mai!

MATUA
kia ora koe kapakid, thanks very much for your awhi ki ahau, yes i think its the same as waka huia. i listened to it on youtube not very clear. i brought up the lords prayer on utube and nzmaketu uploaded an excellent version. the haere mai version is by the patea maori club featuring carla pewhairangi.thanks for the other two awsome.

KapaKid
Kia ora ano matua,

No worries Smile

And that haere mai you were thinking of was not one of the 5 I was thinking of! Grin

Just to confirm, the haere mai is the one that goes
Haere Mai,
E nga iwi haere mai,
Mauria mai .......

then the next verse
Karanga ra .....

http://www.folkso...index.html is where there are a few Haere mai songs.

If the one you want is the Kara Pewhairangi one it can be played again in the same chords as the other one: g, c and d or c, f, g - just play with those three chords - use the first one but if that is too high or low you can try the second chord combo.

Just play around with the chords while singing and you will soon hear where the changes are and which changes will be right! Smile

I will have to play around with the lords prayer as that one has more than three chords - may take me a couple of weeks to get back to you as I'm about to go hunting!

But in the meantime, if anyone else can help matua then post here - else I will see what I can do when I get back!

MATUA
tu meke kapakid this will keep me goin for awhile awsom and happy hunting

KapaKid
Kia ora Matua - back from hunting and have not forgotten about your request Smile

Will have to tie one of the cuzzies down and get the chords off him as I think mine are a bit wrong - give me a few days and I will get them for you Grin

KapaKid
Kia ora ano!

Finally tied the cuzzie down for the chords - it is in the key of C and the chords used are C, F, G as well as Fm Em and Dm so have a play with those and you will be able to work it out! Grin

MATUA
awsome thanks heaps kapakid hope you had a successful hunt

Meihana
Kia ora tatou, Ive been trying to find out who wrote this chant and could some translate it for me? I believe its message tell of the ancient custom of cutting and slashing ones self to morn the passing of a loved one?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Mauri ora.

Ripiripia
Hae hae
Ripiripia
Hae hae
A........ tuakina!
Paranitia te ūpoko o te......... ngārara kai tangata

UE HA! Ue ha
He aha te tohu o te ringaringa!
He kawakawa
Tukua ki raro kia hope rā he korokio
Ko te whakatau o te mate
UE HA! UE HA

JohnArcher
About Ripiripia.

Go to your nearest library and interloan
Hui: A Study of Maori Ceremonial Gatherings
by Anne Salmond
Read page 144, about powhiri in different regions

This recalls the ancient custom of slashing the body with flakes of obsidian to mourn those who have died.

Homai he mata, kia haehae au
Give me a blade of obsidian, to slash myself
Aue! kia kotia i te kiri
To cut the skin
I awhi ai taua, i nawa
You often embraced
Aue hi! Aue hi! Aue hi!

A last type of powhiri is used when a body is brought on to the marae.
but this type is rare and found mainly in the Taranaki and Ngati Porou
areas. e.g.:
Ripiripia, hae! hae!
Cut slash slash!
Ripiripia, hae! hae!
Cut slash slash!
E a, turakina!
He is felled
Paranikia te upoko
Head smashed
Te ngarara kai-tangata, hue!
By the man-eating insect! (death).

You ask who wrote it? My guess is that it has ancient origins, coming from Eastern Polynesia, like Toia Mai Te Waka, and Ka Mate. But its origins must go back even further to the time of migration through the Solomon Islands, because "Te ngarara kai-tangata" is better translated as "the man-eating reptile" which would be the crocodile.

And your second chant is on page 181

As the pallbearers carry the coffin into the marae they may be greeted with a powhiri for the dead:

He aha te tohu o te ringaringa!
What is the sign in our hands?
He kawakawa!
Kawakawa leaves
Aa, e tuku ki raro kia hope ra
Lower them to the waist
E horo kia iho, te whakatau a te mate!
Let them fall, death alights!

Kawakawa is the source of a natural medicine that cures kidney disorders. In the Pacific Islands it is crushed and mixed with water as kava. Kava is drunk primarily as a diuretic, but also as a symbol of wishing each other "Good Health." Thus kawakawa leaves are a symbol of health and life. The chant calls on you to drop them, as a symbol of dying. (Afterwards you pick the leaves up and dispose of them, as they are now tapu.)
Edited by JohnArcher on 10-07-2012 00:13

Meihana
I appreciate the translation and your guide to understanding the depth of this Powhiri. Ka mihi nui ki a koe matua.

casey
kia ora does anyone know the ngapuhi song "hone heke" and any korero that goes with that ie: who wrote it , when it was witten etc could u please let me know kia ora

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011