December 15 2019 11:51:30
View Thread
 Print Thread
Tracing a land block - disappears! :-(
Anihana
Kia ora

I'm stumped & looking for some help.

I am trying to unravel some Whakapapa & have hit a bit of a brick wall. I have some court mins records talking about a block of land. The name of the Block is Whatakai, it is from my research somewhere in the Mangatapere area, Whangarei.

Now I have done some tracing via block records before with success but this one has me stumped. My court mins are dated 1885, in this sitting the outcome is the block is divided into Whatakai no. 1 A,B,C, & D.

I have found this block with the 4 divisions listed in a 1908 version of:

NATIVE LANDS AND NATIVE-LAND TENURE: INTERIM REPORT OF NATIVE LAND COMMISSION, ON NATIVE LANDS IN THE COUNTIES OF WHANGAREI, HOKIANGA, BAY OF ISLANDS, WHANGAROA, AND MANGONUI.

I have also found reference to the block in:

Reserves and other Lands Disposal and Public Bodies Empowering. 1919, No. 54.

This is where it appears that the block known as "Whatakai 1A" is referred to as "Allotment 141 of the Parish Of Mungatapere" appears to have been sold to the Whangarei Council by a George Robinson.

The only other reference I can find is a newspaper clipping where a Mr F.Simpson who is a district Surveyor in Whangarei has been instructed to lay "off roads" over the "Wiahoanga, no.1, Whatakai and Whatakai no.1 blocks of native land"

Other than that I can't find any such block in the maori land records......or in fact any reference to "Whatakai" as a location in the area.

Would love any leads or info that might help me figure out where it was located & what happened to it....kid of sounds like it was sold to this George Robinson & then onto the council BUT I'd have expected to find more about it as a place or maybe a paper trail upto it's sale to the council?

Cheers
Anihana
Edwards "Teri family", Rewi, Tawhai, Ruka, Ngapine, Johansen. Poroti, Waima, Takahiwai, Northland. Te Uri Roroi, Te Parawhau.

interplanetjanet
Have you searched archways (NZ Archives) or papers past online? put the block nmae into their search engines and see if anything comes up
Good luck with your search

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011