May 27 2017 20:07:58
View Thread
 Print Thread
Finding my Marae and Iwi
MrsRickP
Ok, hi everyone! Please put me in my place if I am offending anyone/culture. I am just learning about my culture and ancestors.
It is my 80 year old Mum's wish to visit her ancestors Marae before she departs this earth but here is the problem. I started researching last year and didn't click the "notify me of a reply" button so thought no one could help me...got that bit sorted now and have two very kind people help me out!
So my ancestors are Wi Kingi Te Awhitu born in 1801 and Died 1882. He married Pirihira Matangi...born 1812 and died 1897. I believe that Wi Kingi Te Awhitu is from the Te Ati Awa but I have absolutely no idea on how I would go about finding the Marae of either of them. Wi Kingi Te Awhitu is my GGG Grandfather. I believe his parents go by the names of Piko and Tuturaumaiawa but surnames are unknown. Sorry I can't give you any more information. I look forward to any advice anyone is willing to give me.
Thank you very much, I do know that if I get some info my Mum is going to be very happy Smile

Rondo
https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-122025751/sawyers

Highlight all of the above phrase and right click mouse to access this site which gives a good range of downlines for Pirihira Matangi. Type her name in the "person to find" box on the top right hand side of screen
Edited by Rondo on 15-03-2017 09:44

Jump to Forum:
Copyright © 2011